29 November 2008

#39: Bob Evans

Date Visited: 15 November 2008

Meal: Breakfast

Diners: 2 - Me & Wendy

Experience: It's a sleepy, rainy, unusually warm winter Saturday morning, and I'm starving! So off we go in search of a new breakfast experience. Bob Evans is the choice today.

I grew up on the west coast, and there were a lot of IHOPs, but no Bob Evans. On their web site it says Bob Evans "provides homestyle food and friendly service to our customers primarily in the East North Central, mid-Atlantic and Southern United States." Well that explains it.

I had the Farmer's Choice ("Your choice of one fruit crepe, two hotcakes or two slices of French toast served with two eggs, Bob Evans Sausage or bacon and home fries") and selected the hotcakes and bacon. Wendy had the Western Omelette ("Diced smoked ham, onion, green and red peppers cooked
into the eggs, then stuffed and topped with shredded cheddar cheese").

The food was fine but unremarkable; I think I still prefer IHOP.

Location: 225 Fort Evans Rd. NE, Leesburg, VA, 20176

Web site: http://bobevans.com/

Total bill: $18.95 + $3.00 tip = $21.95

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Next time try their Pot Roast Hash.....it has hash brown potatos topped with Pot Roast cheese and then two eggs over easy. Yummy!

Anonymous said...

IHOP is better than Bob Evans? Better known, maybe, but have you eaten at IHOP lately? IHOP's omelets and signature pancakes are now roughly half the size of Bob's. And the staff at the IHOP here in Leesburg look like they are on work detail from the county jail.

I prefer Bob's because, while standard diner food (you call it "unremarkable"), you get more and better food there, and the wait staff at least looks more professional.

J.A.W. said...

Perhaps I was a little harsh with the "unremarkable" comment. I can see your point - the experience at IHOP can be hit or miss. I'll remember your comment next time we're in the mood for breakfast out.

Anonymous said...

For the record, I ate at Bob Evans on Saturday, May 30, around 11 AM. This is the first time I had been at Bob Evans in about six months. Our server's name was Scott, and we had a party of about seven people. Scott was also serving a party behind us of about seven people and had at least one other party he was dealing with.

Scott was MARVELOUS. How he could handle all those people, all of a sudden--I mean within a 15 minute period--is beyond me. Not that things were not without bugs. We got our breads before our drinks, for instance, but Scott told us he is bringing our breads now because that was where he was at the time. Drinks quickly followed. The meal was at our table in about 10 minutes. He did it all.

I really don't know what to say. Our bill was for about $50, but we tipped the guy at The Olive Garden at Dulles $12 for OK, but not great service. We gave Scott $25, and how couldn't we? We gave the guy at Olive Garden $12 when it was only my wife and me, simply for getting us what we ordered. Yeah, it might be 50% of the bill, but DARN it was nice to have someone serve me that actually cared about me AND brought me my food sooner than I expected.

If someone from Bob Evans is reading this, I am the one who had the steak and eggs. I am sure you can figure out the rest from there.