29 November 2008

#41: Peppermill Grill

Date Visited: 23 November 2008

Meal: Breakfast

Diners: 3 - Me, Wendy, & Alicia

Experience: Peppermill Grill is Leesburg's newest restaurant, as far as I know. We went there after church on Sunday after seeing a sign for brunch that lasted until 3:00.

The brunch menu had a wide variety of interesting choices. Everything on the menu sounded great, and I was having trouble making a choice. I asked our waiter (Tim) what he recommended. He answered that he had not actually had a chance to try many of them yet, but he had tasted the Hollandaise sauce, and recommened that. So I ordered the Eggs Benedict ("Poached eggs, Canadian bacon, fresh Hollandaise and scallions over croissant"). It was an excellent dish, and the Hollandaise sauce was very smooth and creamy.

Wendy had the Omlette du Jour ("Served with breakfast potatoes"). Today's omlette was Ham & Swiss. She liked it very much.

Alicia had the French Toast ("Served with choice of topping; Apple Cinnamon or Strawberry"). She chose the strawberry, and it looked pretty good to me. Her comment was that it was "eggy" (I think that's good).

All of our dishes included an assortment of fresh fruit, including huge globe grapes (mmm...), cantaloupe, and honeydew melon. The plates themselves were all of different design, which produced a nice effect.

Other brunch menu options that we'll have to try sometime are: Breakfast Burrito, Peppermill Steak & Eggs, Hash & Eggs, Home Made Crepes, Shrimp & Grits, Grilled Mahi Mahi, Wild Mushroom Pasta, and Chicken Picatta. I looked over the regular lunch and dinner menus, and they include a good variety of appetizers, salads, sandwiches, and beef/chicken/seafood entrees. I guess that's the "American Bistro" part of this place.

We also met some old friends while we were there. Dr Sampson (of Leesburg Chiropractic) and his family were there for their first visit too.

History: This is a Leesburg location that has seen a lot of change over the years. Before Peppermill Grill, it used to be Zeffirelli Ristorante, and from their web site, you'd think they were still there! It was a fairly high-end dining experience; we only went there once. There are still etched "Z"s on the interior windows. Before Zeffirelli's, it was Waffle King's Virginia Kitchen (not sure I'm remembering the name exactly). It was a simple family-friendly restaurant, and we ate there a few times.

The verdict on Peppermill Grill: love it, we'll be back! They do need to get a decent web site too.

Location: 5 Catoctin Cir. SE, Leesburg, VA, 20175

Web site: none

Total bill: $38.52 + $8.00 tip = $46.52

UPDATE, 5 April 2009: I've been informed that Peppermill Grill now has a web site; it's http://peppermillgrillva.com/

UPDATE, 10 May 2009: We went to Peppermill Grill for a Mother's Day dinner. This restaurant continues to impress! I had the Pork Spare Ribs (extra-large, meat falling off the bone, excellent teryaki sauce), Wendy had the Pork Scalloppini, Andy had the New York Strip Steak, and Alicia had a Caesar Salad (even the salads are outstanding here). For desserts, we got a couple Creme Brulees and a Chocolate Mousse cake. See the online menu for more details. Go to the Peppermill Grill today!

9 comments:

Missy said...

thanks for writing this review, I had always wanted to go to Zeferelli's but it just never happened, I came back from college on break, and it's peppermill grill now!
A group of friends and I will be heading out for New Years though, and your review was the deciding factor.

J.A.W. said...

Thanks for the comment, Missy! I hope your experience at Peppermill Grill is delicious!

Missy said...

Well... It would have been nice, we went in and it looked like the service was going to be great, but we opened up the menu's and we found that their special new years menu was a $55 per person for a 3 course meal... We are 4 broke college students... so we decided to head on over to Ruby Tuesdays, their 3 course meal was only 15.99...

Missy said...

OK so we actually got to go to the PMG tonight, it was amazingly delicious, I had the Chicken Fettucini and we shared the Chicken Satay appetizer, both were amazing, at first I thought the Chicken on the pasta had too much seasoning, but as soon as it's mixed in it is delicious. The service was spectacular and couldn't have been better. More people need to go there so they can stay in business!!!! My only question is what is a charge for "Open Food" of $6?

Jazgal said...

Well I have had the pleaure of eating at PMG a handfull of times and it is absolutely amazing. We too dined on New Years Eve and found the price ($55.00) a person to be just right. I too am a broke college student, but let me tell you, you get what you pay for. The service there was amazing. You could tell the restaurant was packed but it maintained a nice flow. We did not have to wait long for anything. I started out my first course with an absolutely delicious Wild Boar and Crandberry Sausage, then had a delicious Shrimp Bisque, then as my main course I had the Surf-inTurf. A filet mignon stuffed lobster tails with mushrooms, asparagus & red potatoes. It was probably one of the most decadent meals I have ever had. Then to top it all off I ended my meal with Funnel Cake Dipped oreos. AMAZING!!!!! I now frequent PMG as often as I can. I think they are best restaurant in Leesburg. I highly recomend PMG.

Unknown said...

Peppermill Grill does have a website, visit them at
www.peppermillgrillva.com

J.A.W. said...

Thanks for the update, Mr. Peppermill! I put a link to the web site in the main blog article. Looks like you've got a few fans, keep it up!
J.A.W.

Anonymous said...

I have been to the Peppermill Grill several times. Love their food and their service is outstanding. If you go, try the polenta fries appetizer. Delicious! This place has a great menu, many choices and different things to tempt your taste buds. It's not your "average" bistro. You have to try it!

Michelle said...

We drove by there the other day and saw that it is closed! It's going to become a Thai place.