09 November 2008

#34: Deli South

Date Visited: 8 November 2008

Meal: Lunch

Diners: 1 - Me

Experience: I found myself on my own for the day, and ended up having a wonderfully enjoyable and relaxing Saturday.

I started off the morning by attending the Men's Steak 'N Study breakfast at Cornerstone Chapel (my home church). Steak, eggs, fried potatoes, fresh fruit, donuts, and coffee - not to mention fellowship with friends and good teaching. An excellent start to the day.

Next, I stopped at Leesburg's Saturday farmer's market at Virginia Village. I picked up some Golden Crisp apples from C. Hess Orchard & Produce, Martinsburg, WV. I also discovered a new Leesburg winery called Zephaniah Farm Vineyard, and I bought a bottle of their Cabernet Franc - my favorite!

On the way home, I dropped in at The Coffee Bean (110 South King St.) and had a cup of the flavored coffee of the day. Mmm...

And now for the real purpose of this post - lunch at Deli South.

Deli South has been in Leesburg since 1993, located in the Virginia Village shopping center. It's not a chain or franchise, just a good local deli! They offer an interesting selection of sandwiches with names that somewhat reflect our region's heritage, like The King, Rhett Butler, Robert E. Lee, New York Special, Grilled Turkey Special, Scarlet O'Hara, Mark Twain, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Stonewall Jackson, George Mason, Michelle's TNT Club Wrap, Bill Clinton, Patsy Cline, Fried Fish Delight, and John Mosby. They also have name-your-own-sandwich (you pick everything), homemade deli salads (like potato salad, macaroni salad, cole slaw, etc.), garden salads, and a full breakfast menu.

I ordered the John Mosby ("Pork BBQ on a toasted Kaiser roll with our homemade cole slaw. A guaranteed treat for all BBQ lovers"). Well that's me, a BBQ lover, so I had to try it. It was pretty good.

On a previous visit (way before this blog existed), I tried one of their breakfast sandwiches, which had egg, cheese, and lots of bacon - it was very good. I recall that their coffee was pretty good too. Now they also have an espresso bar.

After all this eating, I had to go outside and rake some leaves to work it off!

I urge you to help support local restaurants like this in Leesburg; go our and eat at Deli South!

Location: 38-D Catoctin Cir., Leesburg, VA, 20175

Web site: http://delisouth.com/

Total bill: $7.69

No comments: