21 August 2015

#161: Yummy Pig

Date Visited: 14 August 2015

Meal: Dinner

Diners: Me & Wendy

Experience: Leesburg has another new Barbeque restaurant: Yummy Pig! It occupies the empty space that was The Q Company, so now Leesburg has three barbeque specialty restaurants: Yummy Pig, Smokehouse Live, and Red Hot & Blue (barely qualifies). Yummy Pig had their soft opening on 20 May, and is now fully open for business.

On this visit, we both decided on the “Pig Heaven Platter” (2 meats, 2 sides, and cornbread or chips). I chose Beef Brisket, Bratwurst, Yummy Slaw, Bacon-Blue Cheese Potato Salad, and the Cornbread. Wendy chose Beef Brisket, Pulled Pork, Scalloped Potatoes with Bacon, Cucumber-Onion Salad, and the Cornbread (see menu for details).

The meats come with no sauces applied, so you can do it yourself. Yummy Pig provides four house-made specialty sauces: Sweet Bourbon, Chipotle BBQ, Tequila Mustard, and 4-Pepper Vinegar; they also have a variety of commercial hot sauces. Unlike some barbeque places, the meats are served cut up into bite-size pieces. The brisket was cut into thin strips, the brat was cut into bite-size slices, and the pulled pork was of course already falling apart (as it should be). I think we both liked the Beef Brisket best - cooked till almost falling apart with a smoky, almost-crispy, flavorful crust. It seemed best with the Sweet Bourbon sauce. I thought the Bratwurst was also cooked exceptionally well - smoky, crispy crust, and tender inside. It seemed best with the Tequila Mustard. I didn’t get to try Wendy’s Pulled Pork because she ate it all before I was ready for a taste; I guess it was good! We also liked the brisket dipped in the 4-Pepper Vinegar, which added a nice “pop” and wasn’t too spicy. The sides were interesting too; the Yummy Slaw is a somewhat delicate creation using finely shaved Savoy Cabbage, and the Bacon-Blue Cheese Potato Salad was uniquely creamy delicious!

Yummy Pig also offers Ribs, Street Tacos, Chili, Barbeque Salad, and a bunch of other sides that we’re looking forward to trying next time. Since it wasn’t too busy and it was getting near closing time, owner and chef Jim Thompson came over to talk with us. Very friendly and appreciative of our visit (he didn’t know I was reviewing the place), he talked about the origins of the restaurant, his catering business (largely supported by weddings!), how the food is made (large smoker inside inherited from The Q Company, small smoker out front to draw people in), and plans for new menu items (more appetizers, bratwurst sandwiches, chili sliders, crab cakes - yum!) Nothing at Yummy Pig is ordinary; every item seems to have a slightly unique, flavorful twist. I’m sure it has something to do with everything being made in-house. Come on in, enjoy the food, and support a local business!

Location: 17 Catoctin Cir. SE, Leesburg, VA 20175, 703-629-8669

Website: http://yummypig.com/

Total bill: $39.42

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one time I'll disagree with you. The "different" part of Yummy Pig is what I think will put them out of business. They are very nice people, but the food is either dry (brisket) or not tasty. 1.5 stars only because of the nice service.

I wish these folks the best of luck.

Anonymous said...

We went when they first came around and it was really good, nice service, good food, good price per portion ration. The last two times I have been I have had very simular experiences both bad, in food and service. The first was I ordered the chicken and it was so soggy it turned into literal mush. Upon telling them they informed me that it happens as that came from the underside of the chicken where it had been sitting in its chicken juices. No attempt to offer a replacement or console a fairly obviously disturbed and unhappy customer, I'm fairly easy going and so I asked them if it wouldnt be to much trouble to get new chicken that was from the top, (though I felt I shouldnt have to ask it should have been offered.) I was again met with the same push-offishness by the server who told me they'd have to ask the kitchen and 'make sure it was ok' The server then returned with the same line as before but with a very different attitude as though I was at fault for not wanting to eat chicken that had a mashed potato texture Lol. They then proceeded to let me know the kitchen had agreed to 'allow me a replacement' (including the word choice of the server.) Which begged the question why he had felt the need to re-lecture me about how the chicken was cooked if the kitchen had said it was fine.

The following time after this (Yea after that we where crazy enough to try again I mean one bad server and an off day it happens right? This is what I meant by usually easy going, I still don't even entirely hold it against them cause everyone has those days, doesn't mean i agree with the handling of it but ah well.) Anyways we went back and I ordered the same thing I always do and have going there, the pulled chicken. This time however it was much better for a bit, until I choked on a bone, and not just a bone but a splintered very sharp bone. This to me was unacceptable and inedible, but even so I tried to be nice I casually called our server over and said 'excuse me I really dont mean or want to be a bother but I have found multiple bones in my dish and choked on one kinda hurt but its good is there anyway I could get new chicken?' I showed her the bones. She gave me the nastiest look and I had absolutely no idea why or if I had said something wrong, the 2 other people I was with even had caught the look and commented on it not to the server but just a simple 'gee what was that look'. The server came back and proceeds to tell me that 'heres some more chicken.' Low and behold she shoulda said 'heres some more bones' I called her back and said 'hey idk whats going on back there but theres bones in this too?' Her response was 'i'll be sure to let them know', she came back a few moments later and tells me that 'this is just how the chicken was shredded today, that it happens sometimes it cant be avoided and that if i'm not happy with it i can and should order something else maybe that doesnt have a risk of bones.'

I have never snapped at a person prior to this experience in a public place my immediate response was 'I came here specifically to enjoy the chicken; I don't want anything else as I do not enjoy anything else theres a reason afterall I ordered the chicken, now your going to stand here and honestly say to me that 'i should order something without a "risk" of bones', I'm sorry but what? Its chicken, I didn't order fish, fish has a reasonable chance of bone as its fish, but chicken? This chicken has shredded bone thats not just existing in there but jagged enough it got caught in my throat and I'm an adult, I hope to god your not serving 'risky chicken' to children!' I was livid; we havent been back since... (this was in 2017 theres actual multiple google and yelp reviews around the same time about others experience with bones.)