06 November 2011

#119: Finnegan's Sports Bar & Grill

Date Visited: 23 October 2011

Meal: Lunch

Diners: 3 - Me, Wendy, & Andy

Experience: Finnegan’s is one of the newest restaurants to open in the rapidly expanding Village at Leesburg. As reported in #117, there are ten restaurants: Flame Kabob, Faang Thai, Noodles & Company, Travinia Italian Kitchen, Eggspectation, King Pinz (yes, they have a restaurant too), Wegmans (yeah, it's technically a restaurant), Pinkberry (just opened), Firebirds Wood Fired Grill (opening soon), and the subject of this review, Finnegan’s!

Regular readers of this blog know that I rarely even come close to writing a negative review, but this time is different. When we arrived, we were taken to the main seating area and presented with menus that were all wet. Then we discovered our appetizer plates were dirty; when we pointed this out to our server, she made a face and got us clean ones but no apology or even “sorry!” At Finnegan’s each table has it’s own TV and I was struggling to find the Redskins game, so I asked our server for some help. All she could manage was “I have no idea” with no offer to get help from someone else (I did finally figure it out myself). It was also very cold inside, which was probably comfortable for the staff, but not us customers.

I had the beef Pub Sliders (3), which seemed to be more bun than meat and come just with cheese. The only condiment offered was ketchup. This dish also came with Cole slaw, which was surprisingly good - wet and tangy. I also had a Guinness to wash it all down. Wendy had a side salad with apple-bacon vinaigrette, which was also surprisingly different, in a good way. She also had the Macaroni & Cheese with beer cheese and bread crumbs. It was a nice take on an old favorite, providing good taste and a little crunch. Andy had the Bacon Blue cheeseburger. He said it was good, not a typical pre-cooked thing, but he ordered it medium and it came out pretty much well done.

To top it all off, it took forever to get our check; we finally had to ask another server to get it for us. Finnegan’s is probably alright if what you want is a basic sports bar, but you wouldn’t want to go there for the food. Reviews on Yelp pretty much confirm my opinion.

Location: 1608 Village Market Blvd. SE, Leesburg, VA, 20175, 703-771-2333

Web site: http://www.finnegansirishbar.com/leesburg/

Total bill: $45.03 + $10.00 tip = $55.03

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've eaten here a few times because one of my friends insists that it's great and always wants to go. I really think this place is overrated. As far as "Irish pub" type places I've been, I'd put Finnegan's on the bottom of the list.