29 December 2010

#105: Windy City Red Hots

Date Visited: 29 December 2010

Meal: Lunch

Diners: 1 - Me

Experience: First of all, dear readers, I'd like to apologize for the long delay since my last review; lots of stuff going on. But today I'm back, and I'm hungry!

Windy City Red Hots is a relatively new addition to Leesburg's restaurant scene, in the King St. location formerly occupied by Leshers (and before that, the short-iived Smoothies & Salads, which I never got a chance to visit). As the name implies, they specialize in Chicago style eats (street food). Their hours are very accommodating: 11:00 AM - 9:00 PM Tuesday through Saturday and 11:00 AM - 8:00 PM on Sunday. There is also another location in Ashburn, although they're not open so late every day.

On this visit, I was by myself and only had time for a quick taste, so I ordered the namesake Windy City Red Hot hot dog ("100% pure beef hot dog topped with mustard, relish, onions, tomato, pickle, sport peppers and celery salt on a poppy seed bun.") Wow, every bit was an explosion of flavor! I had never heard of sport peppers before, so I asked the chef what they were. He said you can only get them in Chicago; they taste kinda like mini-Jalapenos, but you'll have to decide for yourself. There are plenty of other Chicago classics on the menu, which you can check out on their hip web site; especially check out the "We speak Chicago" side bar on the menu. They also feature a great selection of craft beers and other beverages. The decor is very Chicago-themed, including some great blues music playing in the house. The service was friendly and courteous, and I'll definitely be back!

Just today, I read that Windy City Red Hots was voted #1 in the Loudoun Times-Mirror's "Top 5 New Restaurants of 2010"! Way to go! Read the article, then go check them out, and I hope to see you there! You can also get it delivered via Door to Door Dining.

Location: 28 South King St., Leesburg, VA 20175, 703-669-8606

Web site: http://windycityredhots.com/

Total bill: $4.27

3 comments:

Tara said...

Good to have you back!

Anonymous said...

My family of four went for lunch. My wife and i could not finish our meals they were that bad. Mine was so soggy it fell apart in mush. Waste of time and money.

Anonymous said...

They are Chicago beef dipped sandwhiches they dip the sandwich into the juices of the beef they are supposed to be soggy dont order a beef dip next time