28 December 2008

#45: Blue Ridge Grill

Date Visited: 12 December 2008

Meal: Dinner

Diners: 2 - Me & Wendy

Experience: Wendy and I were sans children on a Friday night, so that meant time to go to a fancy restaurant! The Blue Ridge Grill was one on the list of unvisited restaurants, so we decided to go there. Regular readers of this blog will know that we've lived in Leesburg since 1987, so we remember when this location used to be an Applebee's; we were not unhappy to see it go.

The Blue Ridge Grill has now been here in Leesburg a number of years and has a reputation for being one of our nicer restaurants. We've eaten there just a few times, so I was anxious to go back and write up our experience for the blog. I was also eager to visit because a few friends had commented that it was nice, but overpriced, so I needed to check it out for myself.

I'm happy to say our experience was very positive!

We started off by sharing an appetizer called Steak & Cheese Eggrolls ("Seasoned Steak grilled w/ Peppers & Onions, mixed w/ Monterey Jack & Cheddar Cheese, rolled in a Jalapeno Cheddar Tortilla, flash fried & served w/ a Queso Dipping Sauce"). They were nice and hot, both temperature and spice-wise, as well as delicious. They were similar to the Tex Mex Eggrolls we get at the Sweetwater Tavern in Sterling, VA. Wendy also got a house salad as a starter.

For the entree, I ordered the Surf & Turf (daily special, not on the menu), which consisted of Filet Mignon and Fresh Lump Crab Cakes. The steak was super-tender, with deep grill marks - excellent! For my side, I ordered a baked potatoe, not expecting it to be anything special, but I was surprised! It came will all the fixins (sour cream, chives, bacon, and cheddar cheese), and the outside skin was covered in yummy coarse salt - mmm... every bite was full of salty goodness.

Wendy got the Pork Chops ("Two French cut, 8 oz., marinated Pork Chops grilled and served over Mashed Potatoes and Gravy"). Her evaluation: "delicious".

Overall, we were impressed and liked Blue Ridge Grill very much. We found the food quality to be on par with the prices. We would definitely eat there again. They also have another location in Brambleton, so it's not quite a local, Leesburg-only business.

Location: 955 Edwards Ferry Rd., Leesburg, VA 20176

Web site: http://www.brgrill.com/

Total bill: $69.44 - $50.00 gift card + $15.00 tip = $34.44

3 comments:

Kiran Ahmad said...

I just saw this blog on a random search for a bakery in the town of Leesburg so I could have a mother's day breakfast w/ my son (who is 7 months old) for our first mother's day. I moved to Leesburg from Springfield (born in Alexandria, lived in Springfield for most of it. I'm a big foodie and love eating out. I especially enjoy discovering new places to eat and Leesburg is pretty full of non-chain restaurants. Your blog is the best thing I've fond in ta2 years that I've been living here. I can't thank you enough since it'll be a while before I eat out (trying to loose baby weight). This will certainly help me narrow down my choices for the few chances I do get! Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

If you haven't tried their Lobster Bisque, you haven't had one of their absolute best items on the menu. Incredibly rich & creamy - no skimping on the lobster here!
You can even order the soup for take-out-mmmmmmmm........

J.A.W. said...

We visited BRG in Leesburg again on 25 February 2011. Everything was just great, and our opinion of the place went up even more. I tried the Lobster Bisque, and it was truly outstanding. Wendy and I both ordered from the specials of the day - I got the Seaside Linguini (Shrimp & Scallops) and she got the Crab Cake & Filet Mignon. Excellent!