11 May 2008

#9: Papa John's

Date Visited: 8 May 2008

Meal: Dinner

Diners: 3 - Me, Wendy, & Alicia

Experience: I'm sure this has happened to you - an unexpected change of plans, last-minute errands to run, and your original dinner plans are history. What do you do? Order a pizza, of course!

In this case, Alicia had a track meet that went a bit long, and nobody felt like taking the time to cook dinner. So I was sent on a mission to go get some. We all like pizza, and the choice of restaurants was left to me. Almost every town has plenty of pizza places to choose from, and my favorite in Leesburg is Papa John's. (It used to be Little Caesar's, until they closed several years ago, but that's another story...) I ordered at the restaurant because... well, I don't know, I think it's just the way I was raised - you never have pizza delivered to your house, you go and pick it up.

Anyway, I ordered two 14-inch larges. One was a specialty pizza called "The Works (Pepperoni, ham, spicy Italian sausage, fresh-sliced onions & green peppers, baby portabella mushrooms and black olives)". The other was just pepperoni. But Alicia doesn't like pepperoni, so she takes them off. We do this because I just can't bring myself to order a cheese-only pizza. Weird? Maybe. Wendy and I usually finish off one large between us, but Alicia doesn't come near finishing the other one, so there's always some leftover pepperoni for my lunch the next day.

While writing this blog, I visited the Papa John's web site. They have a pretty good restaurant locator, so you can find the closest one to your house. I was wondering how many locations they have, and where they are concentrated, when I noticed a link at the bottom of their home page labeled "International Restaurants". I clicked it and was quite surprised; there are locations in about 27 countries! Just for fun, I clicked on the Pakistan location, and found out there are actually two there, one in Karachi and one in Rahat! The menu has fewer choices than the ones in the states, but they also have local specialties like "Papa's Tikka (Chicken Tikka & onions)". Interesting!

Location: 525 E. Market St., Leesburg, VA, 20176-4171

Web site: http://papajohns.com/

Total bill: $30.36

4 comments:

Jesse said...

Hey Jim. I've been also trying to hit all the restaurants in Leesburg as well. I then came across your site. It like it. Now does Papa John's and Dominoes really count? There is not place to sit =)

J

J.A.W. said...

Thanks for the comment, Jesse. You're right, those two pizza places don't have anywhere to sit, unless you count the curb outside. The rule about seating is one that I treat a bit loosely. It's clear that Papa John's and Domino's exist primarily as eating establishments, whereas 7-Eleven and gas station snack shops do not. Well, that's how I justify it anyway. Good luck on your quest too!

Jesse said...

Jim, thats cool. Sheetz does have some pretty good made to order subs though =) If you are ever on the Yelp website you'll find me there. That's where I'm doing my poss for now. There are still a bunch of places in downtown Leesburg I want to try, hopefully I'll make it there before they close. Do you actually know how many restaurants there are in Leesburg? I'm probably up to about 50 or so. Good luck on your quest also. Don't forget about the restaurant in the Holiday Inn on Rt. 7. They are nothing special, but oh well =)

J.A.W. said...

Jesse, there are a little over 100 restaurants in Leesburg at any given time. I keep a list of the ones I haven't visited yet on the blog (see the link on the left).